There have been a bunch of new players and boxes lately, and many people ask me about PoP progression. Most big targets require a well rounded box to complete, or least a few people. Because EQ is largely about community and such, I want to be available to help nudge people along. Feel free to message me in game or on Discord.http://home.earthlink.net/~brucehalpern ... pflag.htmlhttp://www.bonzz.com/planprog.htm
These two sites are the best guides on how to do PoP progression IMO.
There are a few things at the first tier of planar progression people can do to be ready for boss kills:
1) Plane of Justice: Complete a trial to gain access to Plane of Valor and Plane of Storms. Most people do the Trial of Execution, because it is probably the easiest. Requires a small group. It's a minor dps check, but if you focus fire the mobs that spawn its super easy.
2) Plane of Innovation: You don't need to kill Xanamech for progression if someone already has factory access. In which case it's very quick to go from zone in to a kill. Just make sure to hail Giwin on the inside before and immediately after the Manaetic Behemoth kill. This gets you into Plane of Tactics.
3). Plane of Nightmare: Complete the Hedge Maze event to gain access to the Lair of Terris Thule (PoNb). This requires a small group and patience. When I did this, the escort NPC appeared to be stuck in a loop for a while. Eventually he corrected his path, but I was pretty close to throwing my keyboard out the window. Each group of mobs that spawn increase by 1 until you collect all the pieces. The last group or two are moderately challenging for a new group. The boss is cake with slow.
4) Plane of Disease: In the guide, look up "Adler's Request". Hail who you need to in the appropriate order, then you are ready for the Grummus kill.
5) Plane of Valor: If someone had the Aerin'Dar key, all you need is to walk up to him for the kill. This gives you access to Halls of Honor.
6) Plane of Storms: The entirety of the Askr quest can be completed by a small group. This gets you access into Bastion of Thunder.
As an aside, I did a lot of my AA xp in Solusek Ro's Tower. The alternate access quest is in, and is literally killing the one mob in Western Wastes and turning in his heart to the drake in PoTranq. The xp is great, and the mobs drop the molds for ornate tranquility quest armor. The mobs regularly come in pairs and hit hard though.